Sunday, May 25, 2008

I found a spring!

I finally realized something after doing some more research on my property- I have a spring.

It appears that I have a natural high groundwater spring on the western portion of my property, about 1200' away from where I want to build. This spring occurs naturally and still has groundwater at about 5-6' from where I found an old monitoring well. During the winter months it creates a second small swale that runs for 3-6 months.

Supposedly there was an original hand-dug well on my parcel as shown from an old septic report where the windmill was located. I found a pile of rocks, but not a well. Too much land to just easily find it when you have 48 acres. I thought maybe looking at an old satellite photo might clear it up, but I can't see the windmill.

In California, you cannot legally drill your own well without a C-57 license. I am going to have a professional well drilled, but I am thinking about developing this natural spring some 1200' away from where I want to build for cattle grazing since it should just require a pump down the hole and maybe a bit of backhoe work to clean it out. It is about 40-50' lower in elevation and it eminates from my property as shown from the contours. Might be a valuable resource.

I originally wanted to drill my own well under an 'owner-builder' method but there were court cases that I found online where these wells could never be permitted and even the state was going after those doing this. I only need to drill about 20-30' max to get plenty of water. Even still, the cheapest driller including casing for a 100' well was about $6,000 not including the pump or permit ($235). If you are in California, you are pretty much screwed with this work. The well drillers have cornered the market and you are out of luck for a legal well. I don't see a problem however you drilling other wells on your property once you have one permitted... It would be difficult for both the assessors and environmental health to figure it out.

No comments: