Saturday, May 24, 2008

Solar looks more attractive in terms of property taxes

Solar starts to look really good. I found a place online that sells solar panels that don't qualify for PG&E rebates (BP solar brand new 70 watt panels) for $2.84 per watt. You can build a 5800 watt system for less than $16,000 not including the batteries or inverters. With 5 hours of average sunlight you would get about 25-30kwh of electricity produced per day. Currently I use about 14 KW per day in my house. When I run the swamp cooler this increases by 2-3KWH per day.

One thing most of you may not know is that in California solar panels cannot be taxed on your property, so this saves you versus a PG&E hookup. The assessor came out and re-assessed my neighbors property once power was hooked up at $25,000. 1% of that pear year is going to cost him about $250 in taxes or $20 per month. Over the long run, a 10 year investment alone in solar with the $20-$22 per month in tax savings equals $2500. Over 30 years the system in terms of taxes pays for itself at about 50% ($7500). For many like me the cost of not having to drag telephone poles down my property line, permits, trenching make solar worth it. PG&E will not assist you in financing. When I started this proess, power was supposed to cost me about $12,500 to hook up including the transformer. After a site visit and formal quote, that price doubled.

Basically I can build about a 9kw system for the price of PG&E hookup; -plus no tax disadvantages, or issues about where I build my home, less trenching, etc. Additionally, there are companies who will now finance solar panels in a lease at 12-14% with a $1 buyout at the end of the term.

I am also fortunate enough to have great wind around 8-10mph year round; so wind power will supplement my power in the roughest of times during the winter. Those of you looking at spending lots of money with PG&E should seriously look at solar and wind. In terms of a monthly cash-flow position, you are looking to save $100-$200 per month in utility bills alone which pays for your $20-$25k solar power system versus paying for hookup + monthly service.

No comments: